How You Can Lose Weight With Yoga?
Benefits, Poses, and Types of Yoga
Yoga comes with a lot of health benefits. You can lose weight with yoga. Moreover, it helps you to build your muscles, improves sleep, and reduces stress also.
Yoga is an exercise in which you move your body into various positions that make your body more flexible, improve breathing, calm your mind, and make your body fit. There are many benefits of yoga, most people focus on meditation and mindfulness. Yoga has divided into many types that can reduce your stress, and increase strength and stamina. Meditation increases patience, and mindfulness, which can help you to live a healthy life. When you do yoga regularly, your body stretch and blood circulation also increases. Yoga can boost your metabolism and promote wellness and flexibility.
Types of Yoga
Yoga is a set of spiritual, mental, and physical practices that helps you to focus on your breath and feel a strong connection with your body. David Chesworth, ACSM Certified, Said “yoga includes a heavy emphasis on bringing attention inward”.
Here are some types of yoga that will help you to lose weight such as Nidra yoga, power yoga or vinyasa, hot yoga or Bikram, hatha yoga, Iyengar yoga, kundalini, eight limbs of ashtanga yoga, yin yoga, restorative yoga, prenatal, Anusara and, Jivamukti yoga.
Best Yoga Poses for Weight Loss
- Warrior poses of yoga can reduce your weight
- The plank pose of yoga is the best way to reduce your weight
- Boat poses of yoga will help you to lose weight also.
Warrior Pose for Weight loss (Virabhadrasana)
The Warrior Pose, or Virabhadrasana, is a powerful yoga pose that can help with weight loss by building strength and increasing metabolism. You can get a flexible body by doing this pose and it maintains balance. It is a little bit challenging to do this yoga pose you need proper guidance to do it. It can help strengthen your back, shoulders, and legs.
How to do a warrior pose:
- Start by standing at the top of your mat with your feet hip-distance apart.
- Take a big step back with your left foot, turning your left toe out to a 45-degree angle.
- Bend your right knee so that it is directly above your right ankle, keeping your left leg straight and strong.
- Raise your arms above your head, with your palms facing each other and your shoulders relaxed.
- Engage your core muscles and sink deeper into the pose, holding it for several deep breaths.
- Repeat the pose on the other side by stepping back with your right foot and bending your left knee.
Precautions: If you have heart problems, shoulder issues, or high blood pressure, we suggest you never perform this yoga pose. It can lead to some health issues related to the heart and shoulder.
Plank Pose to Lose Weight (Phalakasana)
The Plank Pose, or Phalakasana, is a popular yoga pose that primarily targets the core muscles, but also works the arms, shoulders, and legs.
How to do plank pose:
- Get into the push-up position
- Try to uplift your upper body from the floor with the help of your palms
- Keep your neck relaxed and look downward at the floor
- At least stay in this position for 10-15 seconds
- Do this yoga pose at least 10-15 minutes a day
Remember to listen to your body and modify the pose as needed to avoid strain or injury. You can also seek guidance from a certified yoga teacher to ensure proper form and alignment. The Plank Pose can be a challenging but rewarding pose for building strength and improving overall fitness
Precautions: Do not put pressure on your wrist and knees while doing the plank pose.
Boat Pose (Navasana)
Boat Pose, or Navasana, is a yoga pose that primarily targets the abdominal muscles, but also engages the hip flexors, spine, and lower back muscles.
- Sit straight on the yoga mat and extend your legs forward.
- Bend your knees.
- Try to lift both your feet and your upper body.
- Keep your upper body parallel.
- Now, raise your hands forward.
- Stay in this position for 30 seconds.
- Release the pose by lowering your legs and returning to a seated position.
Precautions: Do not practice this yoga pose if you are pregnant and on a menstrual cycle.
Some of the Other Yoga Poses That Help You to Achieve Certain Goals Including Weight Loss
Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana) for Weight Loss
As the name indicates that it resembles with cobra pose. In Sanskrit, this pose is known as (Bhujangasana) and you can do it by lying down on the floor. This pose stretches your back muscles and boosts your metabolism as a result you burn fat.
Steps to do cobra yoga pose:
- Lie on your stomach on a yoga mat with your legs extended straight behind you and your hands placed on the mat beside your chest, with your fingers spread wide.
- Inhale deeply, and as you exhale, press your palms into the mat and slowly lift your head, chest, and shoulders off the ground.
- Keep your elbows close to your sides and engage your back muscles to lift your torso further.
- Hold the pose for a few breaths, keeping your gaze forward and your shoulders relaxed.
- To release the pose, exhale and slowly lower your torso back down to the mat.
Some tips to keep in mind while practicing cobra pose:
- Never stretch your neck too much because it can harm and cause pain.
- Your shoulders must be away from your ears and engage your back muscles to lift your torso.
- Never press your palms forcefully on a yoga mat.
Chair Pose (Utkatasana) For Weight loss
This asana is a standing pose. Grab many health benefits with this yoga pose. Utkatasana is another name for chair pose in Sanskrit. It is the same as setting on a chair. It is the best ever pose for weight loss because it engages multiple muscles in the body and helps to increase metabolism.
How to do a chair pose (Utkatasana)
- Stand tall with your feet together and your arms by your sides.
- Inhale and raise your arms straight above your head, keeping your shoulders relaxed and your palms facing each other.
- Exhale and bend your knees as if you are sitting back in an imaginary chair. Keep your weight in your heels and your thighs parallel to the ground.
- Hold the pose for several breaths, keeping your spine straight and your core engaged.
- To release the pose, inhale and straighten your legs, lowering your arms back down to your sides.
Benefits of chair pose yoga other than weight loss
- It strengthens the muscles in the legs, glutes, and core. It burns more calories and increases metabolism.
- It increases the heart rate and keeps you safe from heart attacks.
- Chair Pose engages the core muscles, which can help tone the abs and promote a more lean and toned appearance.
- Chair pose yoga also improves your digestive system.
How Bridges Pose (Setu Bandha Sarvangasana) can Lose Weight
Looking for easy yoga poses for weight loss? We suggest you do a bridge pose, in Sanskrit, which is known as (Setu Bandha Sarvangasana). It is easy to do this posing no need for any expert or practice to do it. It provides a lot of energy to your body and makes your body more flexible.
- Lie on your back on a yoga mat with your knees bent and your feet hip-width apart. Your arms should be by your sides with your palms facing down.
- As you inhale, press your feet into the mat and lift your hips up towards the ceiling. Keep your knees directly above your ankles and your arms firmly rooted into the mat.
- Clasp your hands together underneath your body and roll your shoulders underneath you, tucking your chin into your chest.
- Hold the pose for several breaths, focusing on lifting your hips higher and keeping your thighs parallel to the ground.
- To release the pose, exhale and slowly roll your spine back down onto the mat.
Some tips to keep in mind while practicing Bridge Pose:
- Do lift your hips too high it can be the reason for lower back pain.
- Keep your shoulder and neck muscles relaxed.
- If you have neck issues, we suggest you keep a blanket or folded towel under your shoulders.
Dog Yoga Pose for Weight Loss (Adho Mukha Svanasana)
The Dog Pose is a versatile and beneficial yoga pose that can help improve physical and mental well-being. It also strengthens your arms and shoulder muscles, relieves stress and anxiety, improves digestion, and helps with back pain.
Steps to do downward facing dog pose:
- Begin on your hands and knees in a tabletop position, with your hands shoulder-width apart and your knees hip-width apart.
- Spread your fingers wide apart and press your palms firmly into the mat.
- With the help of your palms lift up your upper body and make a pose akin to a mountain.
- When you raise your body inhale.
- Hold the stretch for 30 seconds.
- Release by lowering your knees to the mat.
- Repeat the pose several times; gradually increasing the length of time, you hold it.
Precautions: If you are a patient with high blood pressure, we suggest you avoid doing this pose.
Bow Pose (Dhanurasana)
Are you surfing on the internet to find the perfect yoga poses for weight loss? The bow poses the only one that you should start. It tones your abdominal and back muscles. It helps you to improve posture and combat painful backaches.
Steps to do bow pose:
- Lie on the floor on your belly.
- Bend your knees and reach back with your hands to grasp your ankles.
- Inhale and lift your upper body from the floor.
- Stretch your back and legs.
- Keep your shoulders relaxed and your gaze forward.
- Hold the pose for several deep breaths, then release by slowly lowering your chest and legs back to the mat.
Precautions: People who suffered from migraines, back issues, and severe neck issues avoid this yoga pose.
If you have migraine problems and still want to lose weight, we suggest you read our article about the best yoga poses for migraine problems click here.
Other Health Benefits of Practicing Yoga
The above-mentioned poses do not just help you to lose weight only. These poses have many health benefits such as:
Flexibility, mobility, and range of motion in your body will be increased when you do yoga exercises regularly.
Increased Strength: Many yoga poses require you to hold your body weight, which can help increase your muscular strength and endurance.
Reduced Stress: Yoga helps reduce stress and anxiety by promoting relaxation, mindfulness, and deep breathing.
Better Balance: Yoga poses can help improve balance and coordination, which is particularly beneficial for older adults.
Improves Immunity: Yoga helps boost the immune system by stimulating the lymphatic system and increasing the production of white blood cells in your body.
Lower your Blood Pressure: when you do yoga regularly, it helps you to reduce stress, makes you calm and relaxed, and lowers your blood pressure.
Improved Respiratory Function: In yoga, there are many exercises to do deep breathing. When you do deep breathing exercises, it improves lung function, increases oxygen intake, and reduces the risk of respiratory disorders.
Improves your digestive System functions: Yoga can help improve digestion and reduce digestive disorders by stimulating the digestive system and reducing stress.
Stress is a devastating effect on your health. Insomnia, pain, and anxiety are due to stress. In most cases, the main reason behind weight gain is stress
FAQs about Yoga Poses for Weight Loss
Can weight loss be possible with yoga?
Yes, Weight Loss can be possible with yoga if you do it regularly. Chesworth Said, “you are going to burn calories when you start practicing yoga.” But it wouldn’t mean that yoga is a golden bullet to losing weight. Practicing yoga for just a few weeks can lead to weight loss and many other health benefits. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine published a study in 2013, that study they showed a man who had a 26 body mass index (BMI) or greater lost 1.9kg of weight while practicing yoga just for ten days.
Is yoga helping you to lose belly fat?
Yes, yoga is a perfect exercise for belly fat. Doing basic yoga poses such as Surya Namaskar can help you to shed extra fat from your belly. It is just a recommendation you should visit a yoga center and get advice from a yoga expert.
What is better for weight loss – yoga or gym?
Both yoga and gym can be effective for weight loss, but the choice between them depends on individual preferences and goals. With the help of yoga, you can reduce stress, keep your mind calm, improve flexibility, and increase mindfulness. However, it is a little bit different to burn more calories as compared to the gym. In the gym variety of exercises are included such as weightlifting, cardio, and resistance training that burn more fat as compared to yoga. Gym workouts can be more effective for weight loss in the short term, but they require more time and effort.
Will 20 minutes of yoga help lose weight?
Practicing yoga for 20 minutes a day can be a good addition to a weight loss program. If you really want to shed extra pounds and be a smart and healthy man, we suggest you take a proper diet with yoga.
Which time is good to do yoga?
You can do yoga any time but the morning and evening is the best time to do it. In the morning, it provides you with more energy to do a whole day work. In the evening, it helps you to make yourself stress-free after a whole day of work.
You Might be Interested In…
- Lose Your Weight by Water Intake
- Natural Ways to Lose Your Weight
- 10 Types of Teas for Weight Loss
- Weight Loss Without Exercises
- 14 Exercise to Lose Your Weight
- Reduce Your Weight With Green Tea
- Eat Tasty Fruits and Lose Your Weight
- Simple Morning Drinks for Weight Loss
- Weight Loss With Dry Fruits
- How Fasting Can Reduce Your Weight
- 17 Successful Weight Loss Tips
- Lose Your Weight by Vegetables