Is Honey Beneficial for Cough?
Is honey beneficial for cough instead of antibiotics and over-the-counter medicines? According to health experts, Yes! because medicines do not actually offer you much relief for sniffing, coughing, and sore throat.
In our words, you need to take honey or other natural things to treat any type of cough or sore throat. For viral infections and colds, only natural things do work as compared to antibiotics. If your child suffers from a cold or cough then the treatment of honey sounds hippie-dippy. Remember you need to consult with your child’s doctor for recommendations.
Historically, if we look back honey was used to treat cough and cold and now the wisdom of the age is backed up by science. Medically it has been proven that, honey work as antibacterial medicine to treat cough and cold.
Research proves that 2 tablespoons of raw honey for your child is enough to reduce the cough frequency. Parents reported that their children get better sleep after consumption of honey to treat cough.
Note: Never give raw honey to your child if he/she is under the age of 1 year. The immune system of the child does not fully develop, so protection against infant botulism can be risky.
Benefits of Honey for Cough
Is your persistent cough irritating you? Or acting as a hindrance to sound sleep? Feeling embarrassed in meeting due to cough? Over-the-counter medicines are just acting as a loss of money. So, keep all your worries aside and read the amazing benefits of honey for cough will leave you baffled.
Antibacterial properties in honey throw all the harmful bacteria from your body that cause cough. Honey is a powerhouse of all essential nutrients that your body needs such as copper, phosphorus, manganese, calcium, and potassium. Your body needs these nutrients for better functioning. The presence of these nutrients in honey helps you to stay fit and healthy.
Remedies To Use Honey for Cough and Cold
Here are some home remedies to prepare honey for cough, look:
Lemon and Honey Mixture for Cough
- Honey: 2 tablespoons
- Lemon juice: 3 tablespoons
- Warm water: 1/2 glass
- Take 1/2 glass of warm water and add 2 tablespoons of honey into it and mix well.
- In the second step, add 2 tablespoons of honey and stir until all the ingredients are mixed properly
- Keep the mixer in a container and take one spoon whenever you need it.
Olive Oil and Honey Syrup
- Raw honey: 1.5 cup
- Olive oil: 1/2 cup
- Lemons: 4-5
- Pour honey and olive oil into a pot
- Stir both ingredients on low flame
- Add 4-5 lemons on the same flame
- When the ingredients steaming and stringing are done turn off the flame and remove the pot
- Let the syrup cool down
- Keep it in the refrigerator and use it when needed
Honey Lemon Ginger Tea
- Honey: 1 tablespoon
- Lemon juice: 1/2 tablespoon
- Fresh ginger: 1 medium-sized
- Boil some water in a teapot
- Add grated ginger to boiling water
- Steep the ginger at least for 3 minutes and add lemon juice
- Add one tablespoon of honey to the cup and add boiled water
- Serve hot
Is honey beneficial for cough?
If we say honey is a magical remedy for a cough then it will not be wrong. Antibacterial properties in honey are more than in cough syrups. It is natural and has no side effects. you can give this to your children because it is sweet in taste and has no risk.
Which is the best time to consume honey?
We suggest you consume honey before sleep because it will help you to get better sleep. During bedtime, there are no disturbances and you need no more food that is why honey can cover the inflamed part and give proper relief.
How does honey help to reduce cough?
The mucous membrane gets swollen and as a result, you suffer from a cough. The honey soothing down that swelling and provides relief from cough.